Soon the whole country will be wrapped up in festive celebrations — the Great Lent is almost over, and Easter graces the calendars. Ukrainians without doubt will stand in queues to buy the fresh and delicious Easter cake – Paska, and decorate boiled eggs. Destinations gathered the best recipes, suitable for rookies and professionals, to celebrate Easter with homemade food.
Almond Paska Cake
Wheat flour - 800 g
Yeast - 40 g
Milk - 280 ml
Cream, 35% fat – 100 ml
Butter - 230 g
Sugar - 180 g
Vanilla sugar - 20 g
Marsala wine or other similar liquor - 150 g
Candied Orange - 100 g
Unrefined almonds - 150 g
Pinch of salt
1 Egg white
Powdered Sugar - 20 g
Almond flour - 20 g
Almonds - 70 g
1. Warm milk. Add yeast and mix it in. Then add 100 g of flour and mix thoroughly. Cover the container with a towel and place in a warm place for one hour.
2. When the mixture volume increases, add another 150 ml of warm milk and 100 g of sifted flour. Mix thoroughly and place in a warm place for one more hour.
3. Put the remaining flout in a bowl, create a ‘well’ in the middle with your hands. Pour in 200 g of melted butter and cream. Add egg yolks and whites, sugar, vanilla sugar and salt. Carefully knead the dough with your hands for about 20 minutes, or use an electric whisk on small speed. If the dough is too dense, add a little warm water to make it soft.
4. Put almonds in blender. Put the mixture in dough; mix thoroughly so that nuts are distributed evenly.
5. Take round baking molds, butter them, fill with dough to half. Cover with a towel and leave in a warm place for about 2 hours.
6. Now it’s time to make glazing. Beat the whites of one egg, but be careful not to create a foam. Add almond flour in it and mix gently. Pour over the Paska dough and sprinkle with crushed almonds.
7. Bake at 220 ° C for 10 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 170 ° C, and bake for another 30-35 minutes until the crust turns brown.
Chocolate & Orange Paska Cake
Flour - 320 g
Dry yeast - 8 g
Milk - 160 ml
Chocolate - 100 g
Butter - 150 g
Pinch of salt
Chocolate - 50 g
Butter - 25 g
1. Prepare the dough: put the yeast in warm milk, mix in. Add two thirds of the sifted flour; knead the dough and leave in a warm place for an hour. Make sure to cover the dough with a towel or plastic film.
2. Melt the chocolate in bain-marie (water bath).
3. Clean the orange and squeeze the juice.
4. Add remnants of the flour into the dough. Then add eggs, salt, sugar, melted butter, chocolate, orange juice and zest in this order. Knead the dough with your hands, or use an electric whisk on small speed. Cover with a towel and leave for an hour in a warm place.
5. Divide the dough into pieces and spread it out in a buttered baking mold. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and bake Paska for about 50 minutes.
6. Prepare the glaze: melt the chocolate and butter, cool and pour on the Paska. Decorate with sprinkles for extra festiveness.
Read: Easter 2018 in Ukraine
Easter Bunnies Biscuits
2 Egg yolks
1 Egg white
Sugar - 125 g
Dried cherries or raisins - 75 g
1 Orange peel
Butter - 2 tbsp
Flour - 200 g
Ground cinnamon - 1 tsp
1. Cream butter with sugar until the mixture turns light yellow. Add yolks and continue creaming the mixture.
2. Add crushed orange peel and stir thoroughly.
3. Wash the cherries with hot water. Cut each berry in half and add to the mixture.
4. Put in the sifted flour and cinnamon.
5. Knead homogeneous, elastic dough. You can use your hands or whisk.
6. Sprinkle table or another preparing surface with flour. Roll the dough into a half-centimeter thick layer. Cut the bunnies with baking shapes.
7. Preheat the oven to 180 ° C. Grease the pan with oil. Place the biscuits on a baking sheet, grease with egg white.
8. Bake for 15 minutes, until biscuits turn golden brown.
Soft butter - 250 g
Sugar - 250 g
1 tsp vanilla essence
Flour - 290 g
1.5 teaspoons of dry yeast
Powdered sugar - 250 g
Pink food coloring
1. Cream butter with sugar in a large bowl. Gradually add eggs and stir thoroughly. Then add vanilla, yeast, and sifted flour. Finally, add milk. The mass should have a cream consistency in the end.
2. Put the dough into cupcakes mold. Bake at 180 ° C for 15 minutes.
3. In a separate bowl, mix powdered sugar, pink food coloring and three spoons of cold water. Mix thoroughly, as the glazing should be thick.
4. Cover the cupcakes with pink icing. They can be served hot or stored in a refrigerator for 5-6 days.
Read: Ancient and Modern Easter Traditions in Ukraine
Easter cake with raspberry and banana
Flour - 250 g
Sugar - 180 g
Soft Butter - 75 g
Salt - 1/4 teaspoon
Leaven - 3 teaspoons
Milk - 200 ml
Vanillin - 2 tsp
Cream cheese - 250 g
Butter - 20 g
Lemon Tree - 10 g
Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
Pinch of salt
Sugar - 350 g
Fresh raspberries - 300 g
1. Cream butter and sugar with a mixer in a large bowl. One by one, add the eggs, and stir.
2. In another bowl, combine flour, leaven and a pinch of salt. Stir with a whisk.
3. Take one more bowl. Pour milk. Smear bananas with a fork and add into the mixture. Then add vanilla and mix well.
4. Add the flour mixture and milk mixture into the bowl with creamed butter. Mix thoroughly after adding each portion. The dough should be homogeneous, without lumps.
5. Pour the dough into a buttered cake mold and bake at 160 ° C for 25 minutes.
6. Remove the cake from the mold and let it cool.
7. It’s time to make glazing. Take a large bowl, put cream cheese, butter, zest, vanilla and a pinch of salt. Use an electric mixer so that the mixture becomes fluffy. Continue stir at low speed, gradually adding sugar.
8. Put the cake on a plate, cover with icing and decorate with raspberry. Before serving, put the cake in the refrigerator for several hours.
Try some of these recipes for Easter 2018.
Sources: amazing-ukraine.com, gastronom.ru
Photo sources: shutterstock.com. All images belong to their rightful authors.