How to plunge safely
While plunging might look extreme, it is safe when done according to all the rules and precautions. Firstly, it's necessary to plunge only in specially equipped places that have an emergency care unit on site. Try to find a place in the water with minimum people around to avoid the crowd.
The main rule to remember is that one should plunge only for a couple seconds. Afterward, it's necessary to change into dry clothes and drink hot tea. Make sure to avoid alcohol as it creates even more tension for the blood vessels. Plunging is strictly prohibited with epilepsy, inflammation of the kidneys, diseases of the thyroid gland, infectious diseases, hypertension and disorders of cerebral circulation.
The capital of Ukraine has numerous places for plunging on Epiphany. In 2019, some of the most popular ones will be specially equipped for the holiday and will have an emergency care unit on site.
- Feofaniya Park will provide free space for heating and changing clothes after plunging on January 19 from 8 A.M. to 5 P.M. Specially equipped tents will be located next to the central lake of the Feofaniya Park, and the paths to the lake will be covered with straw. From 13:00, visitors of the park will have a chance to take part in folk festivities and enjoy the performances of Ukrainian folk groups. Admission to the park is UAH 30.
- Ethno complex Ukrainian Village is another popular spot for plunging in Kyiv. In 2019, the complex provides the opportunity to change clothes in warmth before plunging and warm up in a special room by the lake. After the blessing of water and the lake, guests will have a chance to swim in an ice hole or an oak bath. The service begins at 10 A.M. January 19; the blessing of the water is scheduled for 11 A.M. Bathing in the ice hole starts from noon.
- Х-Park located in Muromets Park welcomes everyone to attend the winter swimming festival. The program will feature the blessing of the water, plunging workshops from Crossfit Banda as well as contest swims. The festival will take place on January 19 from 10 A.M. The admission is free.
Lviv joins the Epiphany 2019 celebrations as well. 032.ua gives a list of specially equipped places that will welcome believers and fans of winter swimming this year.
- Horikhovyi Hai Park located on 22, Kovaleva Street, will have two ice holes for plunging. This year the blessing of the water will take place on January 19 at 12 P.M. and afterward the guests will have a chance to plunge. The park will host locker rooms, serve hot tea and play music for a lively vibe.
- Vereshchytsya village located right near the Yavoriv National Park welcomes guests for a folk celebration with festive concerts and Vertep, traditional Ukrainian folk theatre. The festivities will start at noon on January 19 and at the end of the day, everyone will have a chance to plunge in the blessed water.
- Lviv Switzerland recreation complex located in a 20-minute drive from Lviv will traditionally organize plunging on Epiphany. The blessing of the water will take place at 1 P.M. and afterward the guests are welcome to swim in the blessed water. Admission will cost UAH 80 for adults and UAH 25 for children up to 14 years. A fee for a car is UAH 30.
Epiphany day in 2019 in Odesa will be celebrated mainly on the multiple city beaches. According to the message on the Odesa City Administration website, the plunging will be organized in the night of January 18 at:
- Golden Shore beach (11 A.M. - 1 A.M.) with service and sanctification of water at 12 A.M.
- Lanzheron beach (11 A.M. - 1 A.M.; at 1 P.M. on January 19)
- Luzanovka beach (11 A.M. - 1 A.M.)
At noon of January 19, dwellers and guests of the city will have a chance to plunge on the 13 Station of the Big Fountain beach, Sunrise dock in Sovinyon, Chornomorka beach and dock on the territory of the Odesa Marine Passenger Terminal opposite the temple.
Photo source: depositphotos.com. All images belong to their rightful authors.